YOP – Year 6 week 3

YOP6_Banner_with_skinny_border_medium

This week I’ve had some finishes, some new starts, some blocking and some yarn acquisitions. I think we can call that a successful yarn related week. Project pages have been created or updated so really I’m on the ball this week.

Let’s begin with the finishes. Off the needles came a new design, Aer na Farraige. The drafted pattern is gone to my tech editor and it will be open for testing at the end of this coming week in my group here.

Aer na Farraige 1

A new design has gone onto those empty needles and a little bit of progress has been made.

Deirdre

I also caked up the Aquaman Sucks yarn, that you saw last week, and started a new pair of socks. This yarn has a very short colour repeat and with such bright and vivid colours it wasn’t going to be able to take a pattern. With not wanting to knit a vanilla sock, I chose The Weasley Rib socks by Erica Lueder. I’m a fan of her Hermione Everyday Socks, and may well knit another pair of those this year, but I decided to try for something a little different. This broken rib pattern is enough to keep me interested and is not lost in the yarn. I’m knitting these TAAT on DPNS, I’m as far as starting the second leg, so they are knitting up quickly and this is mainly weekend knitting or snatched moments on them in between design work.

Weasley Rib 1

Aer na Farraige made its way to the blocking mats this week.

Aer na Farraige

Being on a blocking roll I then popped Fíorghrá onto the blocking mats. It was finished shortly before this YOP year started but it just sat there for a bit. I’m glad it’s done and now I can wear it. I love the yarn I chose for this version, it’s Coolree Yarns made here in Ireland and it’s a 100% silk yarn in this gorgeous silver-grey colour. I’m very pleased with the finished object.

IMG_4627

Stash acquisition this week came once again from Karena at Strand Designs. Some of these will be destined for some design work( definitely the orange, maybe one of the speckleds), so technically are work related and not really stash related but some are definitely stash enhancement (the green/pink for sure).

Yarn Stash 2

I have received the dispatch notice for the yarn for my Herbarium jumper so I’m expecting that to arrive this week. Hopefully I can get a swatch done for that this coming week. Other than that the only other things I’m expecting to work on are the Weasley Rib socks and work wise I will be concentrating for the vast majority of the week on the new green design.

So the list looks like this;

A Year of Projects, The List, 2016 – 2017

Garment Rail  – min 3

1. Herbarium

Shawl Drawer  – min 4

Sock Box  – min 6

Design Corner  – min 6

My page of current projects for this YOP year can be found here.

To read other blogs taking part in YOP – Year 6 or indeed to take part yourself, check out the Ravelry group here.

This entry was posted in Celtic Knits, Designs, Finished object, Knitting, Year of projects. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to YOP – Year 6 week 3

1. Leah says:

Very productive and I love those gorgous wools at the end. The finished Fíorghrá is quite simply beautiful. Would love to try a test knit one time but lace work is beyond me at this moment in time (very advanced) lol 🙂 Leah xx

2. Beth says:

Beautiful! I’m in awe (as usual)! Thanks for sharing!

3. Cyra says:

Lots of lovely eye-candy here. Love those socks and the fun colours. Your Fíorghrá scarf/shawl looks so soft, squishy and warm.
    Your stash enhancement yarns are gorgeous, such beautiful colourways. I can see why you ‘needed’ them.

A fabulously productive week – love all your shawls and your acquisitions are devine!

5. diannamcheck says:

Your work is just stunning!! Great inspiration! Oh your new yarn is so yummy!! Can’t wait to see what you do with it.

6. Christine says:

I love your designs! I am looking forward to the end of this week even more now!

Love the name of the yarn “aquaman sucks”… So you are making aquaman sucks… Socks! Hahaha

7. Marsha says:

Aer na Farraige has had my attention since I first saw you working on it. Will be looking forward to seeing it after it has been blocked. I love your sock yarn you are using. Vivid colors are so much fun to work with and a blast to wear. Your acquisitions this week are lovely. Your eye for color is fantastic and I will be looking to see what you make with these. It is so nice that you are supporting your local dyers too. Good job!

8. Renee Anne says:

I love that you design something, make it, write it, get it all finished and off to a TE & testers……and then you immediately start another one.

My last design was published in…..April, I think…..and design work has stalled since then. Oh well. I’ll get around to it.

9. Casey says:

WOW, that yarn is beautiful!! Love all these projects, you use great colors

10. kimmery4 says:

Wow Ruth…that blue scarf is so beautiful! And, I have just popped Weasely socks in my favorites on Ravelry. Funny note, my husband I have been working our way through all the HP movies, starting last weekend. Tonight we watch both parts of #7! There is nothing good on network tv in the summer so it has been perfect timing to watch our old friends!
    Have a great week-and now I need to go wipe the drool off my face after seeing your yarn acquisitions..,
    xoxo

11. Stefanie says:

I love your new, stash enhancements. I am so amazed at how you crank out your designs. I told myself I would design at least one thing this year. I guess I should get on that now as knitting design is not as easy as a nonknitter may assume, yeah? It’s all about trial and error. Your Aquaman colorway is trippy! I wonder of he’ll be brought back; E watched Batman vs. Superman last weekend and via the gorgeous Wonder Woman, we got to catch a glimpse of him.

As a designer you have to know about every area from the layout, to photography, to writing, to charting, to editing. Get help with the areas you don’t know so well and everyone always has a few they don’t know so much about. Sometimes knitting the sample is the easiest thing, other times you are constantly changing things to make them work better for the design and the knitter.The challenge then is knowing when you’ve enough done and when to stop making changes. I think the most important thing is to let the design tell you what it wants to be. I think you’ll love the challenge it sets, its both mentally and creatively rewarding, give it a go!

12. Your designs and finished shawls are just gorgeous. Very delicate and lacy. Your socks rock both in design and color. I am out to make Hermione’s this year and I faved the Weasley ones as Erica Leuder has a great reputation for socks. I love your new yarns and I need some “nice” yarn but I hate to put out the money for it….ouch! They’re pricey! Have a great week and may all your designs be everything you imagined!

13. Becki says:

So many pretty things! The Aer na Farraige is so soft looking – I want to reach through the computer and squish-squish it! And the blue Fíorghrá is stunning. Elegant. I am in awe, too, at how quickly you create your pretty designs, Ruth. Even your stash acquisitions picture is beautiful. Love your photography, girl!

Thank you Becki, that photography is the one thing I have to keep constantly working at. I love when I get it right but boy do I get it wrong also!

14. gonerustic says:

Love the soft green scarf – beautiful!

15. Sharon Evans says:

Lots of beautiful things here, love the bright vivid colours you use also. The blue shawl is stunning.

16. that design that has gone to your tech editor looks gorgeous! and soft! You have been busy – and your projects are drool worthy!

17. My how busy you have been–so many finished objects 0.o

18. Lisa says:

What a productive week! Aquaman Sucks is still my favorite, love the bright and cheerful colors. All your projects are beautiful and more amazing yarn. You’ve definitely had a great week.

19. Donna says:

Your blog always makes me drool. First that green yarn is so beautiful and of course so is your knitting, but that orange yarn is amazing. It looks like orange sorbet with just a few raspberries blended in. YUM. That will be amazing worked up and I can’t wait to see what you do with it.