YOP – Year 6 week 1

YOP6_Banner_with_skinny_border_medium

Welcome! A new YOP year begins, for many of us following the original format our new year begins now and we are entering our 6th year! This is my second most favourite week of the YOP year, as we get the chance to read through the plans and hopes for the coming creative year. I really enjoy reading about the exciting plans starting off, and I always, always, end up with a lot more items added to my favourites folder on Ravelry.

I suggest you bring your tea or coffee and settle back now for the long introductory post for this;  A Year of Projects 2016 – 2017 Week 1 Post.

This years list of projects is hopefully a melding of all things learnt from the last 5 years of participating. I’ve toned it down to what are hopefully reasonable numbers to expect in different areas. Of course there will no doubt be other unexpected items added throughout the year, but that is half the enjoyment and freedom of our YOP lists. The lists are guidelines with lots of room for creativeness.

So the list… yes the list this year is a ME list. All items on it are strictly with me in mind. Because of this all of my most favourite kinds of items to knit are on the list, as you will see. I figure if I’m going to be knitting for myself then I should be knitting what I like knitting. I dare say if you’ve been following me through these past few YOP years you will have a good idea of each of those preferred areas, although there is a surprise or two 🙂

One of the first areas on the list is the Garment Rail. Garments are new area for me to dip into. It is not that I can’t knit them, far from it, I knit them for the children but I don’t tend to knit any for myself. I’ve for so long told myself I will when I loose some of the extra pounds I’m carrying, and this now seems a ridiculous reason to put it off something I’d like to be doing. So this year I am venturing forth into making some garment pieces for myself. In here I’d like to knit a minimum of 3 garments for myself. I’ve not chosen all of the patterns, even though I’ve a few favourite ones but I want to allow for changes of mind. The first pattern I will be knitting though is Herbarium. I have the yarn ordered and once it arrives I will make a start on that.

Garment Rail

• Herbarium

The next area of the list is the Shawl Drawer. This for you seasoned YOP’ers, will be no surprise as you may have already gathered my addiction for shawls. For any of you new YOP’ers let me just say that, I love knitting, wearing and designing shawls. And yes they are indeed all stored in their very own shawl drawer. I may just plan outfits to match my chosen shawl for that day but I’m not going to actually admit to that…quite yet! In this area though I hope to knit a minimum of 4 this year, this doesn’t include the ones I will design. I’ve lots already in my Ravelry library so for now I shall pick out of that selection. I’ve none planned for just right now as I have plenty of items on the needles for the moment, (yes, yes, several shawls, some of which I’m designing)

Third area on the list is the Sock Box area. I love hand knit socks and after my ankle and leg injury a couple of years ago, my foot loves them more. It gets horribly cold and sore in the autumn and winter months. This has now led me onto knitting more socks for myself. On last years list, I had wanted to knit out of my sock stash and as I didn’t knit all the pairs I had been wanting to, it has left me with still lots of sock yarn stash. Many of it the dreadful self striping kind that I just have out grown but which still needs to be used up. The socks this year shall be mostly knit from this stash, except where I simply need to break from it and have a plain pair but I fully intend to mix in plain toes and heels to just make it interesting. The aim in this area is to knit a minimum of 6 pairs of socks.

Last area on this years list is the Design Corner. This like last year is the place where I will include any new designs released for this coming year. This year though it will just hold the list and probably a picture of two. As my new website and blog will be coming online soon all the chatting for the new designs will happen on there. I will provide the links to it when it comes on line but for now the Design Corner will happen here. I am aiming to have a minimum of 6 new designs over the coming year.

This leaves the list for the coming year, and what you will see weekly, looking somewhat like this;

A Year of Projects, The List, 2016 – 2017

Garment Rail  – min 3

1. Herbarium

Shawl Drawer  – min 4

Sock Box  – min 6

Design Corner  – min 6

I have again this year a dedicated project page on Ravelry where each projected will be listed, that can be found here.

I have a couple of projects still on the needles from last year which should be coming off shortly. Shall I count them towards this years goals? As of yet I’m unsure, possibly if they are still on the needles at the end of this first week I will.

The first of those projects are my Sprinkles Sundae Socks. These are as far as the heel flap on the second sock, and I’m about to turn the heel.

Sprinkles Sundae Socks 1

The second project still on the needles is my Simones Wedding Shawl. I’m steadily moving through the sections on this and hope to get more done on it now that my Fíorghrá scarf is off my needles. This just needs blocking so pictures of it then.

Simones Wedding Shawl 1

To read other blogs taking part in YOP – Year 5 or indeed to take part yourself, check out the Ravelry group here.

This entry was posted in Celtic Knits, Designs, Knitting, Year of projects. Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to YOP – Year 6 week 1

1. diannamcheck says:

I can see why you love shawls so much. Now that I’m looking at so many knit patterns I keep coming back to shawls. So beautiful!!! Will have to go through your designs 🙂 looking forward to seeing what you design and knit.

I love the style of your list. As always I look forward to seeing all your projects. Have a great week.

3. Erin Grant says:

Ruth, I cant wait to see your FOs! you have a great list. Since i learned how to knit I will be attempting one of your beautiful designs 🙂

4. Marsha says:

Your wedding shawl is absolutely gorgeous. I look forward to seeing more of your designs this year again. Also, good for you for having a ME year. You of all people deserve it.

5. I like the names you’ve given to your sections of knitting. Did you see the Stitched in Sweden podcast? She just finished the Herbarium in a Spring bright green….lovely! I can’t wait to see what your yarn for it will be. I know what you mean about self-striping yarns although I really like the one you’re working on right now with the broader stripes. I am venturing into patterned socks and the 2 just don’t go well together. I’m looking for more heathered yarns for my socks this year…..so I say! LOL! I love the wedding shawl and also your scarf that you designed. Are the beads difficult to work with? What a lovely gift it would make. The wedding shawl would not have attracted me as much if it weren’t for your yarn and color choice….they are just scrumptious! I am really happy to see everyone come back this year and I wish you the best YOP ever!

Thank you Sam and yes patterned socks and self striping are not always the best together. Heathered yarns would definitely work better. 🙂

6. Christine says:

Ruth you never disappoint 😉
    Your projects I am certain will be fantastic!

7. Leah says:

You have reminded me that I signed up to do this this year. I am glad I have not missed too many weeks. The shawl looks lovely and so intricate. Leah x

8. Stefanie says:

Good on concentrating knitting for yourself.

9. Sharon Evans says:

What a wonderful list! n Love the wedding shawl.

10. Your list looks very do-able. Herbarium is lovely! Can’t wait to see how it all unfolds 🙂

11. Becki says:

I’ve been using the same reason for not crocheting a garment for myself – and there are some beautiful patterns out there I’d probably love to wear. You may give me courage, dear. Just reading your post gives me some encouragement. Can’t wait to see all the beautiful things you create this year!

Thank you Becki, I found I spent more time talking myself out of knitting garments for myself rather than just doing what I love, that’s what I’m going to stop doing this year!

12. Renee Anne says:

Woo-hoo for organization 🙂

13. MrsMcD918 says:

I’m a shawl-a-colic too! Look forward to seeing your projects over the next year.

14. kimmery4 says:

Hi Ruth!! Love your list, love the way it is laid out and love that you are knitting for *you*. I have a sweater back on my list this year–I am actually losing weight finally, and when five more pounds come off, I get to order the yarn. ( I have lost 20 pounds since Easter) I really wanted to reward myself when I hit that 25 mark and a hand knit sweater for me seemed like the perfect reward.
    Can’t wait to see your projects and designs this year!
    xoxoo

Kim well done! That’s great and I’m so pleased you have set up these rewards, can’t wait to see what you have picked.

15. Cyra says:

Love the way you have thought out your projects for the year ahead. A great list. I will enjoy following your achievements.

16. Elka says:

The whole knitting for oneself really struck a chord. I too am determined to knit a garment for myself. And by garment I don’t mean socks >squint<

17. I love hand knit socks too. They are all I wear and I LOVE having warm feet. Looking forward to following your progress. I am a rookie YOP participant so will enjoy following all of you experienced Yopers!