YOP – Year 5 week 8

YOP 5a

This past week I finished up my Susan B Andersons “How I Make my Socks“. This is a great go to pattern for plain simple stockinette stitches. I would say it’s an advantage to have an idea of a leg length you like and your foot length, but if you were a beginner knitter you could still master this sock pattern. With the yarn I was using and the obvious pattern stripe that formed on the leg of the first one I wanted the stripe pattern to continue down the instep unbroken and I wanted both socks to match. This I think you’ll see was mastered, now I like these socks! They match and we all know I wasn’t too fond of this yarn to begin with and picked it more to use it up out of the way than any real love of the yarn but now I’ll quite happily wear these and love them and that’s a result! My project page with notes can be found here.

socks

socks 1

My next pair of socks are going to be with this Zauberball in the Cafe Flair colourway, it doesn’t quite look like it but it is a green/black colourway. I was going to knit Time Traveler Socks but have instead decided to knit The Forest Moon of Endor by Heidi Nick.  Heidi Nick is the designer for the month of September in Sock Knitters Anonymous so I chose one of her patterns and September’s socks will now qualify in that group, assuming I finish those socks. I won’t be starting those until Sept 1st but they are lined up and ready to go.

In the meantime I’ve plenty of other knitting to keep me busy. I’ve two samples for designs to knit up and this week has been busy with all sorts of things that I’ve not gotten as far with this as I’d have liked but that gives me something to concentrate on this week.

11905406_1133197626694960_5794252541809846590_n

My YOP list is looking something like this;

________________________________________________________

14. Dawlish
  15. Milfoil

Designs:

Over the next 12 months my aim is to publish 10-12 patterns

1. Cosán Cowl

________________________________________________________

My Ravelry project page for this YOP -Year 5 can be found here.

To read other blogs taking part in YOP – Year 5 check out the Ravelry group here.

you could still maters these

This entry was posted in Celtic Knits, Designs, Knitting, Year of projects and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to YOP – Year 5 week 8

1. See, those socks are FAB! And well matched too! Awesome!

I’ve been looking at the Forest Moon of Endor too. I was thinking of that for my September Charity sock. We’ll see. I’m a bit undecided about which of my stash yarns would be best suited to the pattern!

Thank you! I spent quite a while also wondering about The Forest Moon of Endor and yarn. I was also looking at Tentacula Socks by the same designer which looks like a good pattern as well.

2. Renee Anne says:

Nosy designer questions for you…..

How do you go about your design process? I come up with an idea (stitch pattern or yarn weight or item) and I start knitting and take notes (no real swatching going on here – I’m one of *those* people). It’s rare that I rip anything out (unless it doesn’t fit – like socks or fingerless mitts or something). Sometimes I start writing the pattern while I’m still knitting and other times, I wait until I’ve finished (and have to decipher my notes). Thoughts?

I’m far to much of a control freak for that. I normally have an idea from a tale I’ve read and go rooting through stitch pattern books for stitches that might work, I normally end up fudging these and tweaking them. I knit gauge ALL the time, I’m afraid I’m one of *those* people so I will know in advance from it x + y should give me z. I’ll write it up from those numbers, knit it to see was I actually right, completely love it if I was and then send the draft off to my tech editor and take it all from there. Every designers process is different though I’ve discovered so there is no right or wrong, only what’s right and what works for you.

3. Ann says:

Ooo matchy-matchy socks are my favorite. Well done! Those Forest Moon of Endor Socks look amazing. I’ll be excited to see those started.

Thank you, the matchy socks so appeals to me! Forest Moon of Endor do look good I’m excited to see how they’ll show up in the zauberball and I’m hoping the long colour repeats will in fact show off the design.

Lovely to see these modelled, well done on the perfectly matching set!

5. So glad you like your socks! I use her pattern for all mine so far just because I want to get to the point where I have the pattern memorized….I’m not there yet. I love yours and they are definitely patriotic for here in the states. Maybe I should make a pair in the colors of the Irish flag and then we could switch! LOL! You have dainty feet though….I’m a size 10! Ha! Ha!

6. Ge Ge says:

Thanks for sharing Susan B. Andersons vanilla socks. I think it’s great you made those striped socks that match. I hope that my first pair of stripes get done and not worry so much by matching. I also have big feet so I haven’t mastered how long the leg can be. You have a great sock list. I think I’ll add my sock list for future posts. Can’t wait to see your knit designs.

Thank you, I think the matchy part of the socks was more to do with my dislike of the ball of yarn to begin with, it was me putting some order on it’s craziness but now that I’ve done it, I love them! so it’s win win 🙂

7. Becki says:

Those socks are wonderful, Ruth! And I agree – it’s fun seeing them modeled.

8. Iris says: