YOP – Year 5 Week 2

YOP 5a

It was great catching up with all the new lists this past week, seeing them all laid out and as usual I’ve a few, who am I kidding a lot, of new patterns added to my favourites.

This past week I  had two main aims.

1. Sample knit my Dagda design as I have some design changes I want to make to it, write the changes up and get the first draft pattern sent off to my tech editor. So test knitters can be keeping an eye out in my group.
  2. Cast on and work on the second Hulst sock.

I cast on the design with the new changes, made a mistake, frogged it, cast it on a second time, changed another feature, frogged it to see what that was going to be like, can you see a theme here? Cast it on a third time and well it’s going well, I do have one or two further tweaks I want to make but they are so tiny it won’t need frogging out again, they will just need to be noted down for the pattern. With so much frogging happening the first draft is not finished never mind sent off to my tech editor but that’s how things go. I’d prefer to be happy with my changes before doing that anyway. This was where it was at yesterday before I worked on it for the evening. It is in fact finished.

11692571_1111544615526928_6524657985564933556_n

I did cast on the second Hulst sock and for most of the week not much progress was made on it. It has sat like this from early in the week. But now that one part of the sample is finished, today I’m taking time out to work on them and to read. Let’s see what progress can be made on these today!

11230031_1111860645495325_1199250892005215574_n

So for this week my aims are going to be something similar.

1. Finish the sample design and get the first draft written and sent off to my tech editor.
  2. Finish the Hulst Sock.
  3. I should also have my next pattern coming on sale this week. It’s back with my tech editor getting the final look over, my test knitters did a wonderful job with it. Do keep an eye out in my Ravelry group here for it.

My list is looking like this;

________________________________________________________

13. Willowherb
  14. Dawlish
  15. Milfoil

Designs:

Over the next 12 months my aim is to publish 10-12 patterns

________________________________________________________

My Ravelry project page for this YOP -Year 5 can be found here.

To read other blogs taking part in YOP – Year 5 check out the Ravelry group here.

This entry was posted in Designs, Year of projects. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to YOP – Year 5 Week 2

1. Ann says:

I love how you separated your YOP on your Ravelry project page. I’m gonna have to try that. Sorry to hear about all the frogging. That can be so frustrating, but you really seem on task which is awesome. I’m excited to see your designs as they come out.
    Ann

2. simmingrome says:

Frogging never sounds like fun but as long as you like the finished product then that’s what matters. What kind of pattern is the Dagda? Is it a sock or glove/mitten? I wouldn’t mind being a test knitter for that.
    PS: for the life of me, I cannot get WordPress to stop trying to log me in everytime I try to comment but this is Ramona of http://butimknitting.blogspot.ca/ (or MonaLee81 from Ravelry)

I am having the same problem with wordpress and I find I am now just using an open ID or the Name/URL option to link back to my blog. But I find I need to sign my comments otherwise people are like who is that?

I guess sometimes frogging is a necessary evil!! If it gets you a FO that is what you imagine. Love the colour of your Hulst.

Yes it’s all about getting what you imagine and it’s nearly there. Isn’t the Hulst a fabulous colour, I can’t wait to wear this pair! 🙂

4. I frogged so much when I started knitting and it was usually 3 times was charm. I love how you set up your Rav page with your yarns. I would do that but I don’t have the yarns yet! LOL! I also like that you post what you plan the next week.

Let’s hope that third time was the charm. I’m liking the mini set out, it seems to be focussing my attention on what I actually need to do.

5. When you’re designing your own it must be awfully tempting to keeping adjusting and changing and rethinking and noodling … I’d never get done and hit publish! Looks like you’re much more successful at that!

I’m pretty good about not adding to my list. If it’s not socks – no matter how darling/attractive/amazing/interesting it is – it’s not for me!!!

I need to really keep thinking of that to not keep changing, re-thinking and tinkering at a design, that can be tough knowing when enough is enough. Ahh I add things to my favourites list so I can find it later but I suspect I’m going to need a couple of lifetimes to actually work through what’s on my favourites list!

6. Becki says:

I enjoy reading a bit about your design process, Ruth. This is a side of knitting/crochet I am completely in the dark on and I find it fascinating. :^)

Thank you, I’m sure every designer has a different process that suits them but for me I like to see it in front of me along with the draft pattern.

7. kimmery4 says:

Clearly, one needs the patience of a saint to design! All that frogging? I would be a puddle of tears or curled up in a fetal position in frustration! Can’t wait to see these new patterns–and your Hulst sock is beautiful. Some day I will get brave and try a top down. Cheers!
    xoxox

Ah you know me, just jump on in and hope it works out ok 🙂 but now that I have knit top down I know what length fits me so it does make it easier.

You are so patient and driven. You go, Ruth!

Thank you some days it doesn’t feel like that, I put it aside over the weekend to work on the socks and now I want to tweak it again…soon it will be a totally new design lol