The second week of our Easter break has whizzed by but this time in a much healthier way. No bugs to slow us down or stop us. We’ve met up with friends, had trips out and about and enjoyed the wonderfully sunny spring weather we are experiencing at the moment.
I’ve spent the week crocheting and knitting on what I call my fun projects, they have no deadlines are for the children (in the case of the blankets) and for myself (in the case of the shawl).
I’ve not looked at creating characters or stories for the last week and the break has been great. I’m ready to tackle the next project this week for A Land Close By with much more gusto and drive, the break was needed. More on that in a minute though, first lets look at what was worked on.
Progress was made on the three wip’s I showed you last week.
First is what I’m calling Flanders Poppy Blanket.
The inspiration for this blanket is from the Poppy flower and if you know anything about World War 1 history you’ll understand the name, if not I would suggest looking up Flanders Fields and in particular the poem In Flanders Fields and it will all make sense then.
The first 12 squares have been finished and the black centres for the next 12 are ready for the red to be added. There is going to be a third colour to edge the squares which will be added when I’m joining them and will be green for the green stem of the poppy.
The second blanket that was started last week has also seen progress. I’ve gotten in all the colours at least once into it so far but am now going to mix up the size of the stripes… I think. Can you tell I’m making it up as I go along? This blanket, unlike the Flanders Poppy one which is intended for Evelyn, has no deadline and I’m not sure if it’s going to end up as a throw on one of the couches or gifted to one of the bigger boys for their beds. It’s certainly going to be big enough for a single bed looking at the width.
This blanket is called The Hills of Home. This reminds me of the green hills all around my home. Every direction I look at around my home has green rolling hills.
A close up of the colours used.
Lastly the shawl has been progressing, Chart A is now complete with Chart B just started last night.
I’m considering changing the name of this shawl to Drops of Firelight.
I chose these colours for the Morticia shawl as it was a Halloween themed kal but to me the evenings are drawing in and when I light my turf fires in the winter you can see the black turf with the firelight dancing off it. The black yarn with Sienna Orange coloured beads remind me of that.
Progress so far on the shawl.
A closer look at the beads but it’s still quite hard to see them, I need a better shot. They are attached onto the stitches with a 1mm crochet hook some before you knit the stitch some after.
So now with all wip’s named I can add them to the list and do wip pages and update other pages for them on my Ravelry projects page as that also was one part of this yop year I wanted to keep up and although many of my A Land Close By characters are not on the projects page all these other projects should be, so there is a job for this week. I also need to sort out the list or at least link the post up to the projects page.
This week I need to work on characters and stories for A Land Close By, I also have a top I need to see how thin I can draft and spin with my spindle and now with the children heading back to school this week I may have time to concentrate on it. Hopefully with practice I’ll soon be able to do it whether they are around me or not and I won’t need so much concentrating. The above mentioned projects I shall also be working on throughout the week as time allows.