YOP Year 3 Update

YoPBanner_zps83dd3114

It’s been a couple of weeks since I posted a yop post and yet as I look round at the projects on the go I’ve not got a lot to show for it.

Some of the weeks I missed have in fairness been taken up with bugs and what not but anyway lets forget about those and move onto projects.

What I have been doing is trying out my new drop spindle. For those of you who do this you’ll know from my comments this is something I’ve been admiring on your blogs for the longest time so I finally bit the bullet and purchased a starter kit, the lady ever so kindly popped in lots of other sites with her instructions for me to get help and find the info on how to do it.

What I’ve got on the spindle now is my second attempt. I was hit by conjunctivitis and that halted any more attempts at it for the last week.

??????????

I’m finding getting the tension right the hardest thing but I can see from my first attempt and this one that it’s getting somewhat better so practice practice practice seems to be the key.

I’ve got some more of this white to practice on and then the lady very kindly sent me a top for when I’ve the hang of it.

??????????

??????????

I’m wondering is it possible to spin thin on the drop spindle? As you know I rarely knit with anything above a 5mm needle so I want to end up with something thin enough.

The other thing I’ve been working on is my Miss Winkle. This has been my take out and about project as it’s just a great simple pattern. In the last few weeks it’s been hauled round to different quizzes and events with the children and I’ve happily sat knitting away on it while waiting for them. I really must make sure I’ve something equally as easy and handy when this finishes.

It’s very nearly at the end of this ball so it will soon be off the needles ready to be worn.

001

So there you have it, projects for the last few weeks.

I have been designing and working on new characters and the characters now have their own blog, to be found here so if you want to check them out head on over, I’ll be introducing the characters in the next day or so now that my eyes are all better.

Looking forward to catching up with you all as I’ve missed the last two weeks.

This entry was posted in Knitting, Spinning and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to YOP Year 3 Update

How fun that you’ve been spinning! I’ll have to work on that this summer. Your Mrs. Winkle is a smile. It will be so cute on you. Hope your eyes are okay. Damn bugs this year suck – boo!

Miss Winkle sure does make me smile each time I see it, can’t wait to wear it. I’m so tired of bugs and would just like to be shot of them.

Ruth, make sure you somehow copyright your character blog as you’re telling those fun and lovely stories.

Love your spinning – something I would like to do, but probably not this year. Keep practicing and I am sure you will be able to get it fine enough. Your Miss Winkle is looking great – I wore mine for the first time today. Your characters are lovely – I especially love the caterpillar!

4. Christine says:

Good for you in attacking the wonders of the spindle!
    Miss Winkle is divine and I am so very excited for A Land Close By!

5. Renee Anne says:

It’s possible to spin fine on a drop spindle. I can’t do it for crap but I also dislike my drop spindles (I’d rather play with Viktor, my wheel). But, I know a couple of people via Ravelry that work primarily on drop spindles and they can spin quite fine. Soooo, yes, it’s possible 🙂

6. It’s worth taking a drop spindle class if there’s anything nearby, just to get a feel for how thin to draft and how much twist to introduce. My drop spindle efforts all spun up very fine .. still light fingering weight after plying. But good for you for trying it!

Hope your eyes clear up soon. I’ve had it and it’s not fun. Of course for me the infection spread to my cheeks and face before I got it under control. It was the light sensitivity that really bothered me.

7. So glad you’re “on the mend”. I wondered where you’d gone although I have been pretty busy this Spring too. Happy to hear you’re all feeling better.
    Your site is darling and I’d never seen the caterpillar…how cute!
    I had a problem when I was using the drop spindle of getting it too thin as I wanted it thicker like yours but I didn’t work at it very long but some day I’ll pick it up again. Congratulations as it looks like you are doing really well with it.
    Miss Winkle will look so wonderful on you. I am definitely having a “shawl” category in the next YOP….it’s time. What kind of yarn do you use to get the stripes so perfect? Is that what they call “self-striping” sock yarn? I love the rainbow effect. Stay well and have a great week.

yes it’s just simple self striping sock yarn, I suspect the stripes are quite wide so perhaps if you keep an eye out for that kind you’ll get a similar effect.
      My list is looking like a complete shawl list and not much else at the moment kind of list 😉

8. Ylva says:

Glad to see you back! Your spinning looks great, sounds like you’re enjoying it too! You can spin thin yarn on a drop spindle, but it also depends a little bit on how heacy the spindle is. I got myself a spindle weighing about 25 g, that made it a lot easier!

Love the Miss Winkle too 🙂