YOP Year 3 Update

YoPBanner_zps83dd3114

This week has gone by in a flurry of family activity and very little craft work.

It took me all week to finish a Rose Burrow I was making in acrylic yarn. I was changing the eyes and just generally working with her in different materials to see the effect I would have. Thank you for your answers last week on the cotton v acrylic for ami’s.

My thoughts so far that although you may get a better stitch definition with the cotton I feel it will pill but perhaps at a slightly slower rate than the acrylic. I also find the cotton incredibly tough to work with over a prolonged period and some weeks I’ve been making ami’s non-stop so my hands and fingers are finding it tough. With the acrylic you will have pilling and probably much quicker than the cotton but when it comes to cuddly toys this I can’t help feeling gives them a loved, snuggled and cuddled look to them. The range of colours is huge in the acrylic and for making ami’s it is more cost effective. It is also easier to work with and more pliable. With ami’s in the house made from both cotton and acrylic I shall see how both fair out at the hands of little ones and then decide on the Cotton V Acrylic.

I also worked on my hat a little. It is my take out and about project and with meetings, quizzes and hair appts this week it was what I worked on here and there. I’ll take a picture for next week.

As for the blanket, I’ve been finishing threads. I was doing them as I went along in stages so haven’t got quite all of them but I have the last rounds of pink to tidy up. I’ve also decided to join with just a dc along the front, this if I’m remembering right from my cushion cover will give the squares a raised border round them, adding texture and dimension to the finished blanket. Let’s hope I get those pesky threads out of the way this week.

This week I’m also hoping to write up a pattern or maybe two. I need to order a few colours today so while I wait for those I shall write patterns. That’s my main goal for this week.

Ruth x

This entry was posted in Crochet, Knitting, Year of projects and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to YOP Year 3 Update

You are wonderfully productive. You’re a planet always in orbit. I can’t wait to see the results of your blanket. I really want to hook a traditional one one day. I agree with your thoughts on cotton. I personally would go for acrylic every time. Your amigurumi toys are always darling. I have to hide your posts because I know my girls will demand like broken records for them.

Thank you some weeks I feel I’m orbiting too fast but then I’d also hate it any other way. Shall I whisper so that it’s Rose’s Pattern I’m writing this week 😉

2. Gracey says:

I always use acrylic for my amis..cotton is just too hard on the hands….and acrylic can be soft…and again you have had a busy week…

3. I think you’re right about preferring acrylic over cotton for amis. That’s the route I’d go.

Writing up patterns is a lot of hard work. I hope you make some headway. I’ve got some ideas floating around in my head. I’m trying to clear the decks so I can do some swatching.

clearing the decks to have free time to dedicate it seems to be the hardest thing to get, I’m hoping once I get sitting down my notes will serve me well.

I love your constant enthusiasm for your crafts – I hope your pattern writing goes well. Have a good week 🙂

5. iknead2knit says:

Cotton KILLS my hands too! Even a tiny bit of acrylic helps. Love your bunnies!

6. Lily Razz says:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on acrylic vs cotton.. So far it seems acrylic would be the way to go..Doing/making something you love should not ‘hurt’ your hands.. Can’t wait to see your works in progress next week!

7. I haven’t seen your hat. You are a busy lady indeed. I am like that too where I’d rather have lots to do as opposed to too little. You can’t accomplish much if your hands are hurting so go with what feels best to you. Your creativity is rubbing off on all of us. I can’t wait to see the blanket as I love it.

8. kimmery4 says:

Oh–I agree about cotton–especially the thicker stuff we have for dishcloths. I have enjoyed knitting with some Pima cottons–they are softer. Acrylic makes my hands sweat and I hate how it squeaks on my needles–but is hardier I am sure for toys and children’s products. It seems that when I see my European friends knitting with Acrylic the colors are so much more vibrant than the stuff we get here in the states. I wonder what the difference is? Have a super week—
    xoxo