YOP Year 3

YoPBanner_zps83dd3114These weeks already seem to be flying by don’t they ? Here we are at another YOP update.

This morning I’m feeling very blue as are most of the family, we woke this morning to find our lovely Sam had passed away in our sleep.

Sam was our St. Bernard and we’ve had him from he was a big ole ball of fluff of a pup when Caoimhe was only a baby so coming on 9 years. He was very much apart of the family and was the gentlest and kindest creature round the children so it is a sad day and we will miss him dearly !

On the actual YOP front I’ve gotten a couple more finishes in and if you saw my WIP Wednesday post you’ll know I had a major case of startitis but first the finishes.

Remember the clock I showed you last week.

index

Well it went from the left to the right in its transformation. I can now read it clearly and I love looking up at it now on my sitting room wall.

I called this Cool Mint Tic Toc, I’m having great fun thinking up of names for my projects this year lol.

Another yarny goody for the house. Link to the project page on my list below.

As some of you know from Thursdays post I cast off the Quite Continental shawl, which really is just called Leprechaun. I have it blocked and here are some photos from it. Again Caoimhe came to my rescue and modelled it.

Fotor0719103021Not bad for another week to have another finish, lets hope this pace continues although I suspect that it will slow down some when the children return to school.

So projects this week that I was telling you about.

That other pair of socks I was telling you about, they got cast on.

IMG_3211These I’m calling Ocean Blue as the colours just remind me of the sea and the different shades it turns. I cast these on on Monday and worked on them Thursday and Friday night after the shawl was done. I’ve never been that quick so here’s hoping all pairs of socks go this quick lol.

These are going to be the same as Ruairí’s ones I showed you last week and will be the second pair for this month which keeps me on track for the 26 pairs in 12months challenge.

I also cast on what will be a pair of anklets for Elizabeth. I just worked on the toe increases of these and will complete them after Benjamins Ocean Blue are done. I’m using Wendy Johnsons book Toe Up Socks for Every Body and I’m slowly getting to grips with Judy’s magic cast on method, of course I took the difficult route of doing it on dpn’s. It can be done but is just fiddly but I won’t let it beat me.

These socks of Elizabeth’s I’m calling Fruit Salad, do you remember those penny sweets that were called that, well this reminds me of them, its the colouring lol.

IMG_3210I’ve worked some more on the Milo vest for Elizabeth. She chose this wonderful copper coloured yarn and it’s going to look great with some white tops I have for her and maybe some denims in the autumn. It is a real autumnal colour. I’ve called this Copper Pot Milo after all those wonderful shiny copper pots you see hanging up in kitchens. I’m finished the garter yoke and am working on the body and cable section. After Kim telling me about how pretty a picot bind off was on these I decided to give Elizabeth’s one so have cast off the armholes giving it the picot edge and I love it !

IMG_3209The last item cast on and worked on was a beanie hat for James for his birthday. He turns 13 next month !

His beanie I’m calling Stormy Night purely after its colouring !

I’m using the pattern Declans Hat and am just nearing the end of the ribbing.

IMG_3208So there you have the projects for this past week all apart from the milo vest which was only a cast on row were cast on this week. My startitis bug has been fed for a bit although I have my eye on a crochet pattern I want to start also and I’ve been thinking of Christmas gifts and those will soon be starting once I organise yarn. I have a rough idea of what I want to do and it even includes a beanie hat of my own design ! EEK.

This week I also received a commission to knit a tea cosy ! How exciting is that ! That most likely will be cast on this week and work will continue on the Ocean Blue, Copper Pot Milo and Stormy Night.

Here is how the list looks with the links added into my projects page for each with notes all updated and photos added ! go me lol.

SOCKS

Stormy Night

HOUSEHOLD ITEMS

Citrus Peel

Cool Mint Tic Toc

CROCHET AFGHANS

THREAD CROCHET

As I need a little cheering up here is a photo of Lady Evelyn this week. Have I told you how much a fan of Indiana Jones Ruairí is, it amazes me how he is considering all the Indiana Jones or at least the best ones were out years and years before he was born, well anyway he loves him, his greatest wish right now at 5 is to be an archeologist/adventurer like Indy Jones as he calls him. Anyway I digress, he has a replica Indiana Jones hat which we found in a toy shop and he wears it all the time, I mean all the time ! He lent it for 5 mins and I mean that literally to to Evelyn this week to try on and I was just lucky enough to capture this snap at the right time !

IMG_3189

This entry was posted in Crochet, Knitting, Year of projects and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to YOP Year 3

1. Liz says:

I’m sad to hear about your dog 😦
    Your socks are looking very good! And your clock is adorable. Makes me want to do one myself 🙂

2. Grace Horton says:

Hugs to allof you with the loss of Sam. Love allof your knitting projects.

3. Karoline says:

So sorry to hear about Sam.

Your clock is great and the shawl is gorgeous, congratulations

I’m so sorry to hear about Sam, they become such an important part of the family : (

I have been so intrigued about the clock – and now I see the finished article – it’s gorgeous! I spotted your finished shawl the other day and it too is gorgeous, love the pointy bits (don’t know what else to call them!) Looking forward to seeing your own design hat.

5. laralorelei says:

So sorry about Sam, treasure all the good memories you have of him.

That clock is quite something, it’s certainly a transformation. I’m delighted to see I’m not the only person with startitus, although I’m not yet at the finished object stage!

Thank you. The way I see finished object stage is you have to have startitis first so I’m quite happy having startitis and I may start more this week lol 🙂

6. Ylva says:

I’m so sorry to hear about your dog, it is always sad to see them go 😦

You have kept yourself busy this week, that’s for sure! I wish I had an inkling of your creative energy, my energy has almost dropped to zero for now. But it will be back, I’m sure, and reading all your creative posts definitely help 🙂

7. soknitsome says:

Sorry to hear about the loss of Sam. Your new projects are lovely and hopefully provide you with a bit of distraction.
    Best wishes
    Sally

8. Renee Anne says:

She is so adorable with that little hat! I’m sad about your puppy (they’re all puppies, even when they’re really old). We got Puppy when Little Man was 7 months old so we’ve had him about two years. He’s a big baby and we love him and I don’t even want to think about what’s going to happen when he’s gone 😦

9. jcjulieann says:

Hi Ruth, you have made some beautiful things, but I am sorry to hear about Sam.
    Take care.

10. Linda S says:

So sorry for the loss of Sam. It is always hard. I have an 18 year old cat that expect to go at any time.
    Love all the projects your working on. Boggles my mind just thinking about trying to keep them straight.
    Evelyn looks adorable in that hat.

Linda

11. Sorry about Sam – but it sounds like he went peacefully and didn’t suffer, so that’s a relief. You ARE getting very creative in your project naming, aren’t you. Love the ocean socks – they’d be perfect with a pair of jeans. And goodness Evelyn’s growing. What a cute pic!

Thank you, I’m finding project naming just as much fun as making the project lol. I’m thinking the same thing with the socks and denims !

12. Helen says:

My heart goes out to you and your family for you loss. My babies are part of the family as as yours … You all are in my thoughts and prayers.

13. Sandy says:

WOW, wow, and WOW! Holly molly girl. Do you eat, or sleep? Awesome projects all of them, but the clock really intrigues me so am going to need to check that out. So different!

It is so different isn’t it, I came across it one day while blog hopping and the link to the original pattern is on my projects page and I just loved the idea. I’ve had it in mind from at least January lol.

I’m very sorry your long time canine passed. But I’m sure he had such a full life with your ohana.

I SO like each project you’re working on, especially the socks. The shawl is fantastic. So light, airy, and fairy like.

Evelyn’s pic is ADORABLE! I love how she grabs her toes. My 7 month old niece is doing that.

Thank you. 🙂

I’m loving those socks right now to.

Everything goes into her mouth at this stage including that foot lol

15. Jessica says:

I’m sorry to hear about your dog. It’s never easy to lose a pet.

I love the clock and the shawl. They are beautiful.

Congrats on getting a commision! That’s fun.

16. Carolina22 says:

So sorry to hear about Sam. Pets are such a part of our lives it’s like losing a family member. Goodness you got a LOT done! The clock is amazing! I would never have thought to do that and I LOVE the ocean socks!! Looking forward to seeing your progress next week 🙂

17. I’m very sad to hear about your dog, it’s always hard to lose pets, they are members of the family.

The projects are looking great! I love the clock, and the shawl is just beautiful. And so many great cast ons, I am jealous of your speed at knitting.

And Lady Evelyn is looking adorable as usual!

18. Sorry to hear about Sam 😦 Hope you can be cheered by the good memories you have of him. It seems kind of silly to compliment your knitting in the face of grief, but that clock is ingenious. It would cheer me up, no problem.

19. Silverlotus says:

I’m so sorry for the loss of Sam. Losing a pet is so very, very hard.

The clock is fabulous! I will have to remember to do something like that when I have a craft room.

20. kimmery4 says:

I too am sorry about your beloved pet. I dread the day we lose our Molly…
    Regarding all the knitting! When do you sleep girl? The clock? So clever! The shawl and socks-many you are knitting circles around me. To try to keep up with the “startitis bug” which is making the rounds, I did manage to cast on a dishcloth today in order to take a break from the shawl. 🙂
    *smiles and a hug*

I’m not sure startitis has left me yet, I can feel the itch to start something else but I really must first finish some projects on the go or at least that’s what I’m telling myself for the first half of this week lol. I love the ballband you’ve chosen to cast on it is a wonderful cloth !. Thank you for your thoughts on Sam, we are still pretty blue about it and will be for sometime I expect.