YOP Year 3

YoPBanner_zps83dd3114

The weather has been unseasonably warm here in Ireland this past week we are reaching daily temps of the high 20’s, virtually unheard of for our part of the world. It’s been so hot most of the evenings we have turned the hose on the children to cool them down before bed, that’s been a lot of fun seeing them running about in it, pics of that to follow.

During the day though after jobs are done early I take my garden chair out to the shade where the children gravitate towards as well, I take my knitting or whatever project I’m working on and sit out. This weather I figure has to be enjoyed when it comes, the last time I remember it being this warm was 1995, the year I first met my husband.

Anyway sorry I digress, where were we, ah yes, chair knitting fine weather !

Well I got some finishes in this week, so much so that I’m trying to sort out what projects are coming next!

I gave Mrs Bunny (as the children have called her) her face and Lady Evelyn has just loved her, taken to her no problem, whew !

Fotor0714104156

The tea cosy got finished as well. This I called Citrus Peel as the colours just reminded me of lemon and orange peel lol. It is so bright and cheery in my kitchen. This was also a project I turned in for my Harry Potter Transfiguration class. Something I’d turn into if death eaters called to the house, ok so to understand that you’d need to be a HP nut, like me and the children lol.

Fotor0714105643

Early last night saw me finishing off the socks that were on the needles. These were my first toe up socks and were easy once you got past the tricky toe casting on part but I’m sure with practise I’d get used to that also. I don’t know do I like knitting these as much as cuff down but there are more advantages to doing toe up, the biggest being getting a better fit.

These socks are for RuairΓ­ which he very kindly modelled for me this am in the garden, excuse the bruises but these were gotten in the very important play of a 5 1/2 year old in shorts playing superheros and all other sorts of games in the garden this past week.

Thank you for all the tips on names for these socks. I finally settled on Birch Sands, so many of you were right they do look like the colouring of birch trees, something I should have spotted myself considering I have four silver birch trees at the front of my garden ! The sand part comes because I have the beach on my mind only I can’t face the crowds that would be at one in our weather I’d be gone. I love the sea !

Fotor0714104759

So that’s the finishes for the week. I have also worked on my shawl Leprechaun this I can only work on in the evenings as lace work is not the best thing to work on with small children running around your feet lol.

Fotor071190241

One of the upcoming projects I mentioned last week was a clock. This is the clock that I started to transform with the children yesterday. It looks lovely up close but when up on the wall was confusing to read to I’m changing it. I’m slowly adding in lots of yarny things into my sitting room and kitchen !

IMG_3164

The only clue I’ll give is I’ve named this projected Cool Mint Tic Toc

Projects to be worked on this week are the Leprechaun Shawl, Tic Toc Clock, Another Pair of socks will be cast on, Milo Vest and a Beanie hat of sorts for James as his birthday is coming up in August and you know how he likes his beanies !

Here is the YOP list amended to give the links to the patterns on my projects page, dont’ forget keeping my projects page updated was one point I wanted to do this year.

SOCKS

Birch Sands

KNITTED GARMENTS

SHAWLS

Leprechaun

GIFTS

Mrs Bunny

HATS AND COWLS

HOUSEHOLD ITEMS

Citrus Peel

Cool Mint Tic Toc

CROCHET AFGHANS

THREAD CROCHET

Just before I leave you here are some summer fun pictures with the family, more of these on Tuesday when I update again on our progress with the chicken run.

IMG_3154 IMG_3123

Looking forward to seeing what everyone else in the group has been up to this week.

This entry was posted in Crochet, Knitting, Year of projects and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to YOP Year 3

1. tinkhickman says:

You have been busy, I love the tea cosy!!! The shawl is coming on a great such a pretty colour. My preferred way of knitting socks is toe up, now, you will soon get the hang of the toe. Isn’t it great that the kids can play outside like this? Deb x

2. Liz says:

I want to learn how to knit a shawl πŸ™‚ Your bunny is adorable and the socks look amazing!

I love your tea cosy and socks, such lovely colours. Lady Evelyn, certainly seems to like the bunny – such a cutie! Enjoy the sun πŸ™‚

4. Sandie says:

I love those blanket bunnies. I knitted a couple for my grand-daughter when she was born, and as soon as my daughter finds out that one of her friends is pregnant I get a request for another on to be made! I even made up a label where I can add the washing instructions for the new mum, so that they don’t have to panic about letting little ones suck or chew it! I’m loving this weather too, but it can get a bit too hot if there’s no breezes!

5. Renee Anne says:

I am so jealous of your yard! We had a fairly large yard in Wisconsin, being that we lived in a small town and my grandparents bought a double-lot back when they built their house…but your yard seems to go on and on. Our yard here in California isn’t big. At least we have one that’s fairly decent sized. It was one of the reasons we put the offer on our house – fenced in yard for Little Man and Puppy to run around in (and they do).

Also, love the bunny! I should have made one for Little Man but he got a blanket…and hats…and a sweater (that never did fit so it went to his baby cousin)…

6. Keri says:

Enjoy the weather. We had flash floods here this week. It was a mess. We beat our average monthly rain fall in just over 2 hours. Thankfully we live on the second floor so aside from a 7 hour blackout we didn’t have any other problems to deal with.

Love the shawl and the baby!!!

I had heard that you in Canada were experiencing what we normally have for Summer weather and us yours, we are equipped to handle the rain as it’s an everyday every season occurance. I’m glad you came out of it safely with only a blackout. Keep safe.

7. Linda S says:

Congrats on all the great finishes Ruth. The kids look like they are having fun. I too, am jealous of your yard.

Linda

8. Funny to think of temps in the 20s as unseasonably warm πŸ™‚ It has to get well into the thirties before we really start to feel it.

What a gorgeous shawl that is; but definitely not a mindless project, LOL. Better for quiet moments.

Your teapot cozy looks great. I guess I’d better get motivated and finish mine up! Citrus is the perfect name for yours … mine is more ‘milk and cream’.

Yours is more cookies and cream I think, I love the colour way on your cosy. Lol we normally have rain rain and more rain for our summer, last year for instance it only got into the early teens in temps so for us its a massive heatwave lol !

9. Laura says:

I love your tea cozy so much that it’s going into my queue! Also great name for it πŸ™‚ Your shawl is coming along nicely as well. Beautiful colors!

10. Marsha says:

Thanks for the picture of the tea cozy. IT is so bright and cheery. So glad Lady Evelyn likes her new bunny blanket too. The socks are great and toe up is nice for the fit. I have started doing cuff down and I am thinking the heel is much easier for me that direction.

I love heels in the cuff down, they dont’ seem quite heel enough when you do toe up, does that even make sense lol, anyway I’d love a good combo of the fit of toe up and the niceness of heels cuff down, dont’ want much do I πŸ™‚

11. So many new and gorgeous projects! Miss Evelyn looks so sweet with her bunny baby and the sunglasses look is cute too. I haven’t tried toe up socks but someday maybe I will. The kids look like they’re having so much fun outdoors and what a beautiful yard. You must be getting our heat because it’s cooler than usual here and I’m loving it! You’ve got my curiosity up with that clock although I might have a clue. The shawl is absolutely out of this world gorgeous! The color reminds me of the sea and you’re really tempting me to make one although I have nowhere to wear it. Did I leave anything out? Oh, the tea cozy! So cute! I saw the other day where you can use a teapot for yarn containment and have it come out the spout! I have quite a few teapots so I may make a pretty cozy for one and use it for yarn! LOL! TTYL!

I’ve seen tea pots used as yarn bowls to and colanders and I think they are such a neat and cool way to contain yarn when working on a project. I think I’m going to have to try that out !

12. mary says:

you are turning into a master knitter.. all great projects..especially the kids.. I’ve turned the hose on myself a few times during our heat wave and your family is having a blast..the kids will probably remember this time for the rest of their lives, just be careful they don’t turn the hose on you, although a good hose squirt is very refreshing..

Lol I’ve gotten caught in the spray and I think that’s half the fun for the children to lol. Summer is about making memories to last a lifetime. It’s important to sit and recall the fun things you did πŸ™‚

13. kimmery4 says:

As usual, wow Ruth! That tea cozy is darling and so cheerful and will really brighten things up when the cold of winter returns. Our temps are going to rise to the mid-upper 80’s next week (been delightfully in the 70’s this past week)–so I will be thankful for an AC office when I return to work on Tuesday.
    I want you to know how in love I am with your shawl–it is going to be so drapey and lovely!
    What a fun, fun mom you are! Summer is for memory making–and I can speak from experience, they grow up all too fast.
    Have as super Monday-as you get up and we get ready to say good-night to our Sunday!
    *smiles*

I already find them growing up to fast and it causes a mix of emotions, excitement seeing the growing and learning and sadness at the passing of a stage I love sigghhhh. Hope you have a super Monday and enjoy your last day before returning to work.

14. simmingrome says:

I am loving Mrs. Bunny and the tea cost. I had to chuckle when I saw the premise for it πŸ™‚

How fun to be sprayed on a hot day. Makes me remember when my mum used to turn on the sprinkler and me and my brother would run through it and around.
    Evelyn is gorgeous. I want to hold her. She is so precious. She loves her bunny. It was cute to see her wave it about.

The children really do get so much fun out of it and it’s good to make memories. She just loves the bunny’s, once she goes into her cot it’s the first thing she picks up and cuddles, so sweet.

• Kepanie says:

I love how you can just make another one when one wears out. Cupcake had gotten this Carters bear lovey when she was a baby. She got hooked on it. My mum kept telling me to get another in case the first got worn out. I could only find it on eBay and won it! Carters only has a design out for six months and then they’re changed.

Thats the thing when they get attached to something when small, it’s such a major upheavel if they get worn out or lost !

• Kepanie says:

When I had worked preschool, this cute, sassy little girl had that snowman stuffie from that book. He was so worn out where she said you could see his guts, LOL. Her mum had to repair it several times.

I love that so sweet, my son Alan had a teddy when small and he had a floppy hat and it was the hat he used to hold the teddy by and it came off and it was the hat he got attached to, he brought it everywhere and then lost it one summer out in our garden shortly after we moving in and the garden had not been levelled so we had mounds of dirt from the digging, a little boys dream garden ! but I remember my husband I and the two bigger boys out in the garden searching and searching for this hat ! Found it and he eventually out grew it but I’ve kept the hat !

16. Book Blather says:

I love the idea of ‘yarny things’ in the kitchen. I went to a National Trust house the other day though and they had crotchet in the garden which I thought was a step too far! Lol. πŸ™‚ Love the pics!

17. Emma says:

Love the pictures, it definitely looks like Lady Eveyn likes the bunny, and the kids looks like they’re having great fun in the garden! I’ve been doing lots of knitting in the garden too, it’s the perfect weather for it. And I love the blue lace shawl, it’s so pretty.

18. Jessica says:

I love the tea cosy. Fantastic colours and pattern. A friend of mine has one she made that looks like a chicken which made my husband twitch a little. Maybe he’d like one more like yours… πŸ˜€

19. Ylva says:

The Leprechaun shawl is just gorgeous! I need to learn to knit… hehe πŸ™‚