It has been a wish of mine for sometime to get some chickens for the garden. I do a lot of baking and eggs are always in demand in the house for that as there is quite simply nothing better for baking. Then take into mind the meals and breakfasts with them also and well in a household as big as ours it makes sense ! I do want to add at this point I’d like some pigs but my husband already knows that and just smiles at me lol.
Anyway back to the chickens, we had an area of the garden fenced off for the smaller children, it saved them being run over by balls flying and bicycles with the bigger children but now as that is not so much an issue and them all getting bigger we decided to take that fenced off area and turn it into a chicken run. My husband will then build a coop for them when the run is complete so we are a few weeks away yet but here I’m going to show the process.
Here you can see one side of the fenced in area needed a new fence along our boundary fence just to protect better against foxes getting in. It is normal in the last few years for us to see foxes out during the day as well as at night time and if our dog Sam doesn’t eat his food quick enough we have caught them a time or two at his dog bowl. Sam is a St Bernard so he’s outside pretty much most of the time and he’s the other reason we need to extend the fenced area up and net the top to stop the chickens flying out. He would think all his birthdays had come at once having fresh chicken lol ! For the first few days the smaller children left their play toys in the area so they could sit and watch husband and the bigger children Alan and Caoimhe in particular help out. Caoimhe has made it her mission this summer to be husbands apprentice fetching and holding and carrying and so as a reward he has let her do a small amount of screwing in the screws and she’s been happy out with this.
Do days 1-3 saw a new fence with railings in.
All the timber we used is from timber sitting around outside and so far we’ve had enough to do the run and will have enough for the base of the coop to raise it off the ground.
Next we are clearing out the area and re-locating the play things to the remainder of the back lawn which is the lawn to the left of this picture. We have wire of different sizes around as well so we will be using all that up first. Some has to be buried down a bit in between the posts as it deters the foxes from digging down under the fence to get in as they are met with wire.
So there you have our progress for the last week, more next week with how things are progressing.