This is our tour….

This time of year the bigger school going children have their school tours. It causes great excitement with it being a day out of the school room and off to see something interesting. As Benjamin and Elizabeth are at home we decided we needed to have our version of a school tour. We have so many wonderful sites to see in nothing more than a 10 min drive from us circle it seemed such a waste not to take advantage of this.

This is our tour…..

First off we started the morning packing our picnic and sun creaming ourselves,

index

Then we headed first for the forest. Mullaghameen is the largest planted Beech Tree forest in Europe.

index 1There are many different walks round the forest taking different levels of time. We took the yellow path which is the shortest of all routes still taking you on average 20-30 mins. My two did all of it with me in 30-45 mins and as your going to see we stopped many times along the way. These are a few things we spotted along our path. A young beech tree planted, a fern.

index 2Further on our path we found bluebells carpeting the ground under the trees and dandelion flowers gone to seed.

index 4Who could resist blowing…we couldn’t

index 3We stopped and rested along the way and with the ground covered in crispy fallen leaves from last fall, we just had to….

index 5throw them about lol.

index 6We checked our route along the way by following all the yellow markers and took advantage of the viewing points to look at the wonderful scenery.

After this we then headed onto Fore Abbey.

index 7We had our picnic in the Abbey and then we explored,

index 8all the nooks and cranny’s inside,

index 9we played hide and seek and we climbed about,

index 10we went up steps,

index 11and down again.

index 12We then explored the whole of the outside.

index 13We checked out the water running under the bridges on our way back to the car and so ended our day.

We returned home happy and tired.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to This is our tour….

1. Sandie says:

Looks like Benjamin and Elizabeth had a lovely day and explored lots. Lovely photos of a wonderful day out.

2. Renee Anne says:

That looks like a lot of fun! We live in urban insanity but there are a few things for the younger ones to do. I think at some point this summer, Little Man and I are going to go to Golden Gate Park and maybe the Children’s Museum (once I figure out where it is).

3. Book Blather says:

I love the swathes of Bluebells you get this time of year – what a magical time it looks like you had! 🙂

How interesting kids get to tour their next school site. It’s good to give them an idea of what’s coming next. Here, parents sign up for school tours in the early Fall. Some may bring their child for middle and high schools, not elementary.
    What a beautiful day w/these cherubs! Their lotioning up pic made me laugh! What an extraordinary path to journey on. Great to get some exercise. These kiddos will nap well today.

My middle boy has just been on his school trip yesterday….when they got off the bus he was by far the filthiest (I mean plastered in mud!) over anyone else. They had their faces painted too in some sort of Celtic swirls….he left them on far too long, but still loves having his face painted, so didn’t want to spoil his fun.

Your two look gorgeous, especially them both holding hands. Those woods look fab, how lovely to have them on your doorstep, my boys, no to mention me, would love to go there!

Your middle boy sounds just like my third !! and sounds like he had a blast. My bigger four visited a mine today as part of their school tour and it was brilliant they said. I just love visiting the woods and can quite happily spend an hour on the trails, it’s most likely because I spent so many years orienteering there with the army lol.

6. Linda S says:

What great pictures Ruth. Looks like you had a fun day. Was Evelyn with you.

Linda

No we left Evelyn at home with hubby as the day was simply way to hot to have her precious self out in. There is not a lot of shade at the Abbey and at the time we were expected to be there I was to worried about having her out in it. A rare complaint here in Ireland but I’m sure before the summers over I’ll have her out in the Abbey and with pictures to go along with it 🙂

7. Sandy says:

Looks like a fun, and educational day. Would love it if you and the kiddo’s colored a Flat Stanley to take with you on your next couple of adventures and let me post about it on the Flat Stanley Blog. Think the kids would get a kick out of seeing the Stanley adventure on the blog.