YOP Year 2 Update

Morning Bloggers !

Hope your weeks have all been good and productive.
Mine have been in some areas and not so much in others. I’ve also been getting things ready for back to school which is going to happen in two weeks time and as you know this does NOT make me happy added into that are the facts that Ruairí heads off to big school with the other children who are all starting in a new school, remember those issues earlier in the year!, this is one of the results of that and Benjamin wanting so much to follow his brother to school is going to be going to Montessori Mon-Fri mornings so I’m only going to have the Princess Elizabeth at home to keep me company, which I’ll love but I’m sad also at how quiet my house is going to become. The children naturally are all excited and that’s how it should be, they won’t know that their mama will be a shedding a tear or two and it takes quite a lot to get me to shed a tear as my friends very well know! lol.

Anyway onto knitting news this week.
My dishcloth of the week is this Scrubby cloth and I love the effect but for some reason I just didn’t feel the love of the cloth and so its only half done so I’m not going to even waste a photo on it, well not when I’ve so much other cuter things to show off. I need to finish this and another one for my sister and I need some for Christmas presents..yes I mentioned the C word but I need to be very organised this year with baby due around the 12th of Dec..that’s still a cool date lol.

So items I can show you some pictures of.
I knit up this Bunny Blanket Buddy and it was so quick and easy and I just love it. I’m knitting one this week now for my sisters little man and my two sil’s will get one for their babies when they are born sometime in Sept. Yes our family is very busy with new babies this year! Four new additions by Christmas. I used white Bamboo Cotton for this one.

Bunny Blanket Buddy

I then started a pair of mittens to match the Christmas-y Baby Hat I knit a couple of weeks back for the baby. Well the first after following directions would have fit a mouse ! so it was back to the drawing board and I knit these Striped Baby Mittens. They were quick and easy to do and I may do a few more pairs to match some other hats.

Striped Baby Mittens

I did then opt for a pattern off my list and cast on and finished the Cute Noggin Baby Hat. I knit this in some Sublime Baby Cashmere Merino Silk and I just love it ! I need some mittens now to match this I think. But check out those tassels on top, cute or what !

Cute Noggin Baby Hat

On my list I have listed the pattern Baby Vertebrae which I like but I think I want to knit this in a gender specific colour so I want to keep this item for after baby is born so instead one of the cardigans I want to knit is this Demne pattern, which will lend itself to a more neutral colour I think. I cast the sleeve on late last night so I’ve only a couple of rows done so far. I’m knitting this in a Debbie Bliss DK Cotton in a white/off white colour

Demne

This is it pretty much for this past week. I want to try and fit in as much as I can in the next couple of weeks as once the children head back to school my days are filled with less knitting and more school runs, clock watching, homeworks and the multitude of other activities that start up again in September. On the baby list I am also adding in this Owlie Sleep Sack and its matching hat. After seeing them on a couple of blogs I just have to have one lol. I’m also removing the Picky Pants and Cotton Wash Mitt patterns as I don’t know have I the need for them and I will be aiming to do another couple of cardigans which patterns I will decide on when I get as far as them.

All in all the baby list part of the YOP list is not looking to bad now and this is what I’d aimed to concentrate on first. I will also be working on adding in pieces for Christmas presents for the children and family as well now over the coming months.

So this is the list this week.
Year of Projects List 2012/2013

Hats :-  0/6
Harry Potter Hufflepuff Beanie – just one left to complete the collection
Strib Hat– I have yarn to knit three of these for the three younger children – Started
Felicity
Spring Beret
Hermione Hearts Ron
Slouched Tuva Hat

Scarves :-  0/6
Strangling Vine Lace Scarf
Lace Ribbon Scarf
Scrunchable Scarf
Springtime Bandit
Stolen Moments Wrap
Branching Out – this is started and just needs finishing off

Cowls :-  0/1
These are a few of the patterns I like but I’ve not picked which one or indeed how many of them I will knit, that is to be decided when I start on a cowl.
Eirin Cowl – these also have a pattern for fingerless gloves which I love also
Rhosyn Cowl – these also come with a pair of matching fingerless gloves and a headband
Pendleton Cowl – I love the colourwork in this one

Fingerless Gloves :-  0/1
I want to make one pair of fingerless gloves this year, more if I get the time. Again these are some of the patterns I have in mind but I’m undecided on which one.
Veyla
Brontes Mitts
Victoria Fingerless Mittens
Susie’s Reading Mitts
Hermione Hearts Ron Fingerless Gloves

Socks :-  0/1
I would love to knit a good few pairs of socks but that not may be possible so I shall aim to knit this pair anyway and anything over that shall be a bonus.
Hermiones Everyday Socks

Dishcloths :-  6/25
My aim is to continue knitting one a week until the end of December. This post I’m moving here to a Sunday and I’m making it part of the projects as it will be something I’m doing. – Weekly Challenge

Advent Garland :-  16/24
Smitten A Holiday Garland – this I fell in love with and as family who love an advent calendar I thought this might be different and fun this year, especially if I fill each mitten with a little piece of chocolate for each of the children. – Started

Items for Baby :-
Bibs 0/4
Christmas-y Baby Hat 1/1Complete
Easy Peasy Newborn Sock Hat 0/1
Cute Noggin Baby Hat 1/1Complete
Owlie Sleep Sack0/1
Owlie Hat0/1
Pinwheel Baby Blanket 0/1Complete
Crochet squares to make a baby blanket (I’m aiming to make 48 squares so I can see if that is big enough) 0/48
Burp Cloths 1/4
Wash Cloths 4/4 Complete
Baby Mitts 1/1 Complete
Socks

Items for the children :-
Mittens
Beanies 1 Jacques Cousteau HatComplete

Looking forward to catching up with you all this week.

Happy Knitting,

21 Responses to YOP Year 2 Update

1. Kashi says:

Nice progress. I cried when we went down to meet my daughter's first grade teacher. I cried last year when she started kindergarten. Hard to see them leave babyhood behind. Still fun to watch them grow and mature. Good luck.

2. The bunny blanket buddy is adorable! I bet it's lovely to touch in cotton/bamboo! And look how sweet those little striped mitts are!Demne is a gorgeous pattern. You can totally do that in a non-specific colour. Nice!

Love the noggin hat….sooo cute! I love those little stripey hats with the long ends with a tie in them too…d'you know what I mean….I bet there are some patterns about, although as you say keeping some patterns gender neutral can be difficult.I've made a few of those bunnies before, but a Crocheted version, great gift idea as they work up so quickly.Our boys have two weeks left as well, I am dreadin doing the school runs again….what a palava!How lovely to be expecting so many new little ones into your family….exciting times ahead!Have a great week me dear, try and get your feet up somewhere in there.x

4. The blanket buddy and mittens are so adorable! Sounds like there will be a lot of transition in your house in the next few weeks!

5. Kim says:

My dear Ruth! Once again you amaze me with all you have accomplished. Your baby items are so lovely and that little Demne pattern is so pretty–but as I read the pattern page I was struck with the curious construction of it. Please let us know how it knits up!The striped mittens are darling, along with the noggin hat. I knit one of those last year, but my yarn did not suit it very well and your is much, much cuter than mine!I only have one at home dreading school–and this is his junior high school year. After this year we will only have him home for one more year. The next one up leaves for college in about 4 weeks, and he cannot wait to go back and be on his own again, while the younger is basically in denial and doesn't want to talk school yet. Jr. registration is this week, and school officially starts in 12 days. To be honest, I am dreading it too–life is so much slower and simpler when they are on break! Listen to me whine with only one to deal with! 🙂 I love hearing about the different education systems in other parts of the world–so interesting how things are done!With the start of school looming on the horizon, I think mention of the C word is perfectly acceptable, as with my experience, once school starts, time goes into warp speed and Fall just flies by.Have a super week, and do please take care of yourself. Are we going to see pictures of you and your baby growing process??? ;)*smiles*

Congrats on the finishes and new start Ruth. They all look great. Have you given up on cross stitch for a while?Linda

7. DeliaKnits says:

baby vertebrae is pretty awesome. I wish I had a little one who'd wear it!

8. oh Ruth – so much cuteness! The hat is so sweet and I love the mittens too.My one and only starts school in two weeks too. She starts mornings only then gradually ramps up to all day by mid-September. I suspect that the empty afternoons will be a completely new experience for me. Anyway, good luck to all your children and to you too x

9. Ruth…I love it all especially that cute baby owl sack and the bunny blankie and of course the mittens and the little noggin hat. Was the noggin hat difficult? It looks like it was but it is precious. I love Fall so I am looking forward to more needlework when it cools down which it's starting to here.I put almost all your projects in my "favs" list! LOL! Not sure I'm that capable but I always get so motivated when I visit you! Have a great week! BTW….I had my last baby #4 on December 15 (many moons ago) but come Christmas I felt like the Virgin Mary! LOL! You'll have a great Christmas with a new baby in the house…how cozy is that? I also have a son named Benjamin too. Mine are all grown though and having little ones of their own now. Take care of yourself and have a good week…don't be sad but I remember that part too.

My gosh what great FOs you've showcased this week Ruth. I esp love those baby mitts; your version is the best.I love the looks of those baby cardis. I can't wait to see more progress on the white one you've started.

11. Vickie says:

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful! Good for you Ruth. This baby will be so well dressed. =) Enjoy the rest of summer holiday.

12. SoCal Debbie says:

Cute Noggin Baby Hat is adorable, Ruth! I love the baby mittens, too!

13. That is incredibly speedy knitting again, I love the bunny blanket, very child I see seems to have a shop bought one of those, so it'll be so lovely for the baby to have a hand made one.

14. Mary says:

I have things backwards! I only have 1 son, but when he's off to school…my days slowed right down…seems like the days get right busy for you guys with multiple children!

15. The Bunny baby blanket is so cute and the baby who is received it is very lucky. Good to see you stick on your list for the baby, she will have only cute things to wear..

16. Lucie says:

So much cuteness in one post – your baby is going to be so stylish that all the other mums will be so jealous!Just think of all the lovely girly things you will be able to do with Princess Elizabeth – you will have so much fun but the house will be so amazingly quiet without the boys there as well! Look forward to seeing the cardigan finished 🙂

17. Karoline says:

Your projects are all looking lovely

18. Baby stuff is always so adorable!!!

19. Jen says:

Great progress on your list! That Bunny Buddy is adorable. Such lucky babies!

20. Sara Duggan says:

Loving that rabbit lovely. A baby will be very happy to have that as a comfort.

21. Evelyn says:

Awesome progress! I love the bunny — I should make one for a friend's baby.