YOP Year 2 Update

Morning bloggers

Its wet and windy here in Ireland at the moment so I think it just perfect for knitting and some Olympic watching. I’ve been catching up with loads of sports this week on the Olympics my favourite being the swimming and cycling so far. I’m loving that team GB are doing so well with their home crowd and to have seen 3 amazing athletics golds go to them last night was just magical. I also loved seeing Michael Phelps become one of the greatest Olympian ever…18 gold 2 silver and 2 bronze to your career is some achievement and that’s not counting World Championship medals, truly amazing and what a talent.

Sorry I was asked last week and I never said, I’m keeping good, getting lots of movement now, none that can be felt on the outside so these first movements are all for me and they are wonderful. We have started to look at names and its great fun getting the children involved.

This weeks knitting has been moving along nicely. I did get two dishcloths done this week so that’s an extra one to mark off the list so I won’t have to worry come December about meeting my goal.
This is the first. The pattern is Simple Eyelets and I knit it in this soft grey colour in Rico Creative Aran Cotton as well, to go along with last weeks green one to make a gift set.

Simple Eyelets

The other cloth this week is a facecloth for my nephew and godson. He lives in Australia so I knit him this Baby Joey cloth and I used King Coles Bamboo Cotton as its much softer. This week I will knit one for his baby brother and my sister would like some dishcloths.

Baby Joey

I worked on the Pinwheel Blanket and I’m up to about 450 stitches and have about another 100 to go until I cast off. I’m really loving this blanket, it was tricky to start off but I can see myself using this as my go to present for baby’s in the future. Now I have a question for the crocheters in the group. I want to add a crochet edge with a bit of a wave, do I do something like a double crochet and a chain stitch into the one hole to get this effect or can someone give me some guidance on it ?

Pinwheel Blanket

I did a small amount on the Rib a Roni this week, not as much as I would have liked but I did work more on the pinwheel.

Rib a Roni

I also knit four more mittens in the Mitten Garland . I’m slowly running out of ideas for different kinds of mittens, I’m up to 16 now and have an idea for 4 more so that leaves me with just four to come up a new idea.

Mitten Garland

This week I’m hoping to knit four more little mittens and two cloths and if I can get the pinwheel blanket to cast off stage with the edging to do next week I’ll be happy.

This is how the list stands now with the new totals.
Year of Projects List 2012/2013

Hats :-  0/6
Harry Potter Hufflepuff Beanie – just one left to complete the collection
Rib-A-Roni – I have yarn to knit three of these for the three younger children – Started
Felicity
Spring Beret
Hermione Hearts Ron
Slouched Tuva Hat

Scarves :-  0/6
Strangling Vine Lace Scarf
Lace Ribbon Scarf
Scrunchable Scarf
Springtime Bandit
Stolen Moments Wrap
Branching Out – this is started and just needs finishing off

Cowls :-  0/1
These are a few of the patterns I like but I’ve not picked which one or indeed how many of them I will knit, that is to be decided when I start on a cowl.
Eirin Cowl – these also have a pattern for fingerless gloves which I love also
Rhosyn Cowl – these also come with a pair of matching fingerless gloves and a headband
Pendleton Cowl – I love the colourwork in this one

Fingerless Gloves :-  0/1
I want to make one pair of fingerless gloves this year, more if I get the time. Again these are some of the patterns I have in mind but I’m undecided on which one.
Veyla
Brontes Mitts
Victoria Fingerless Mittens
Susie’s Reading Mitts
Hermione Hearts Ron Fingerless Gloves

Socks :-  0/1
I would love to knit a good few pairs of socks but that not may be possible so I shall aim to knit this pair anyway and anything over that shall be a bonus.
Hermiones Everyday Socks

Dishcloths :-  5/25
My aim is to continue knitting one a week until the end of December. This post I’m moving here to a Sunday and I’m making it part of the projects as it will be something I’m doing. – Weekly Challenge

Advent Garland :-  16/24
Smitten A Holiday Garland – this I fell in love with and as family who love an advent calendar I thought this might be different and fun this year, especially if I fill each mitten with a little piece of chocolate for each of the children. – Started

Items for Baby :-
Bibs 0/4
Christmas-y Baby Hat 1/1Complete
Easy Peasy Newborn Sock Hat 0/1
Cute Noggin Baby Hat 0/1
Baby Vertebrae  0/1
Picky Pants 0/1
Pinwheel Baby Blanket 0/1- Started
Cotton Wash Mitt  0/2
Finish crocheting squares to make a baby blanket (I’m aiming to make 48 squares so I can see if that is big enough) 8/48
Burp Cloths 1/4
Wash Cloths 4/4 Complete
Baby Mitts
Socks

Items for the children :-
Mittens
Beanies 1 Jacques Cousteau HatComplete

Looking forward to seeing what everyone has been up to this week in YOP. If I didn’t get round to you this week I do apologise I was getting caught up with watching Olympics.

Happy Knitting,

23 Responses to YOP Year 2 Update

1. Vickie says:

Hooray! You have sooo much accomplished Ruth. We have enjoyed watching Michael make history also. I LOVE watching the gymnastics. Say hi to everyone for me. 🙂

2. Vickie says:

Ruth, I just thought of this. What about hearts for the little mittens?

3. Kashi says:

Congrats on the baby movements. That was such a special time for me too. For the crochet question. How wavy do you want your edge to be. You can do a shell. Usually 5dc (US terminology) in one stitch. I would start with a sc around the edge then next row do the shell. You would shell in every 5th stitch. Does that make sense? I don't know how familiar you are with crochet. Let me know if you have anymore questions, or if I didn't understand what you were asking. Talk to you soon. XO

4. I have also enjoyed thegames. Swimming is a favorite and I have enjoyed watching history being made. The USA Gymnastic girls were great. Love your knitting. What a great job of getting a lot done.Happy knitting.

5. Kate says:

The Olympics have been excellent, haven't they? Such an inspiration.Your pinwheel looks excellent. I think that if you have a look at some of the Ravelry projects some of them say how they did the border. I need to look back at your last post now to see how you got started!

6. Jen says:

I love seeing your mittens every week! Can't wait to see the pinwheel blanket when it's finished. Those colors are great!

7. Marsha says:

Oh how us women all loved that movement that was just for us. What a special time! I love the pinwheel blanket. I agree with Kashi as far as the edging goes. You could do a smaller shell too which would be sc, skip a stitch, 5 double crochets in next stitch, skip a stitch and repeat from beginning.Now I am using US terminology if you use UK terminology that would be 5 hdc.

8. Sandy says:

Congrats on the movement! That's always an exciting time. Love the colors in your pinwheel. And the eyelet is great. Might need to check into that one myself. I've done a few similar, but this one would be a good one to add to the list.

Blogger isn't loving me tonight…hope this works!The weather has been awful here today, lots of flooded roads and rumbles of thunder.So excited you can feel the babe move, it's a miraculous thing isn't it.I think Kashi's idea of th shell is a good one, although the round edge may change what works…I reckon have a play, you'll find what suits then…sometimes experimenting with DCs and chains (possibly more than one, depending on how bumpy you want it) if you chained 4 and missed a couple of stitches in between DCs that will give you a little bump ir picot.Hope the sun comes out tomorrow, although it's a great excuse to watch the Olympics which s just brilliant.

10. Annie says:

Wow – such a lot of work you've done all lovely too!

11. I haven't been doing too much olympic-watching but I have been struck by how personable and gracious Michael Phelps has been in the interviews I've seen. Cute little dishcloths. Hard to see the pinwheel now – it's getting bunched up on your needles – but I expect it's going to look wonderful all spread out. No advice from me on crocheting; I can just manage to follow simple patterns 🙂

12. Cris says:

Everything looks fantastic – especially the blanket!As for your crochet question, if I understood it correctly, I would say go around the blanket evenly with single crochet (just to have a solid base for your edge) and then go around it with shell stitch. Then it is scalloped. If you want something more ruffly looking rather than scalloped, then I would say go around with the dc as you suggested.

13. You are so inspiring and did I get it right? You are expecting #8? How exciting! Where do you find the time and energy? You must be very organized with a big family. I love the pinwheel! It's turning out so nice too. And the little advent mittens I love. The little washcloth with the "joey" on it is too cute! I need to list all my projects on my update I guess so people can see my "aspirations" and how I'm doing. I'm new to all of this and totally forgot Christmas, I guess because I didn't think I would be making anything worthy of gifting! LOL! Practice is making me improve though and to be surrounded by people like this group who are all so inspiring!Congratulations on the new little one coming! When are you due? We should have a blog shower for you! Have a great week!

14. The blanket is looking lovely, and the joey cloth is very cute!

15. Kim says:

What a stellar week you have had–and such a special time to be able to feel that little wee person begin to wiggle around! I remember thinking towards the end of my 4th and last pregnancy that I would never get to have that special feeling again–kind of bittersweet as now that baby is about to turn 17!I don't crochet so I can't help with your question, but I am interested in the answers as I am thinking I will need to crochet an edge to my Wonder Blanket when it is all completed. I have never done anything like that before. There has been lots of Olympic watching here–I loved watching the gymnastics and of course Michael Phelps. I watched the end of the women's marathon today and wondered at these women's ability to suffer for 26 miles!Have a super week—*smiles*

16. Keri says:

How do you get so much finished each week? You are amazing.BTW – could you send me some of that wind and rain. I've actually had enough of the heat and that's something I never thought I would say.

17. What about polka dots? I loved the feeling of those little kicks. great progress as always.

I'm glad you included an update of how you're doing Ruth in this post! When are you due?I so love your Pinwheel Blanket. It's fantastic w/the melon and splash of lemon in it.You make dishcloths look so fun and they look so soft to use for those little satiny cheeks.

19. RobinBrz says:

Stopping in for the first time from a YoP! Greetings and congratulations on your new addition – and on all the work you've done. I love the washcloths. So much fun. As I was reading your post "shell stitch" came to mind – it seems we're all thinking on the same line! I'm sure it will be lovely whatever you choose!

20. Wow, everything is really lovely, what a great work. I am looking forward to see the blanket finished and really interested on how you will do the border.

21. Shateen says:

you are doing so well! love that you are feeling movement, best feeling ever!

22. I agree with what's been said about doing a single crochet edging and then a shell. Since the blanket is round, you may need to increase on these edges to keep it from puckering. I usually work a 5 dc shell like this: sc, skip 2 sts, 5 dc in next st, skip 2 stitches. But since you need to increase a bit, you might want to skip fewer stitches, or add 7 dc in the next stitch.Ok, hopefully this is helpful and not just more confusing :).

23. Karoline says:

They are all looking lovely, congratulations on your finishes