YOP Update.

Afternoon Bloggers,

This weeks update sees a finish and a start.

I worked on Dominic’s Slytherin Beanie and it is now complete.

Dominic modelling his Slytherin Beanie

Slytherin Beanie

Slytherin Beanie

I also started another pair of socks. These ones I think will be for Ruairí, if they don’t fit then Benjamin lol. I started these Critter socks from the book Toe Up Socks for Every Body by Wendy D Johnson. I may leave off the birds and chickens as the boys don’t seem so impressed by them… I guess they are not dinosaurs lol.

I learned a new cast on method, the figure 8 cast on, and although I got them cast on no problem I did find the first row fiddly and I restarted these at least 9/10 times until I was happy with them. I am now past the toe and its just garter stitch until I do the gusset. We shall see how they go from here.

Toe-Up Socks

This really sums up the weeks knitting and I will press on with these socks and see how they go. I do still have the scarf but as that’s for an Xmas present there is no immediate rush.

I will also get back to doing some more crochet squares. Thank you for the lovely comments on them, I’m very impressed with them for being  my first crochet attempt.

Happy knitting,

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to YOP Update.

1. I love the hat. Learning new cast on methods is always interesting – it opens up some different options for future projects :).

2. Shirlee says:

Beautiful projects! I also love learning new cast on methods but since I haven't knitted for so long they would all be like new to me … lol!

3. jen says:

I love the hat despite the Slytherin colors, lol. And I really am so jealous of everyones socks. I must get on board and learn to make some soon. Good for you on the new cast on. New techniques are always a challenge.

The hat looks great, and what a great model!Its funny learning new methods isn't it, I always find I'm a bit fingers and thumbs when I try something new. The socks are looking good so far!

5. Dominic looks very pleased with his beanie so you've done well! My nephews are very hard to please, so you must have got it just right for him!It's tough to get the figure eight cast on nicely tensioned on your first several tries, isn't it. Sometimes I duplicate stitch that first round with my yarn tail to firm it up!

6. I had so much trouble with the figure 8 cast on the first time I tried it, I think it took 4 goes to get it right.And Dominic looks very happy with his beanie, so I think that was a sucess

Congrats on finishing the beanie. Looks like Dominic is very happy. Great new start on the socks.Linda

8. Jennifer M. says:

Love the Slytherin beanie…even though I am totally a Gryfrindor fan!! I've been wanting to learn to knit socks but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

9. Vickie says:

Well Dominic certainly is happy now. Those socks are going to look great with that yarn. 🙂

I'm impressed Ruth that you tried another CO method for your toe up socks! I Googled it and oh boy does it look a teeny bit tricky.Love the Slytherin hat; the green and grey go so well together.

11. Shannon says:

The beanie looks fabulous! I love the Slytherin colors you chose 🙂

12. Thoeria says:

Love the socks Ruth…and yes….cows and chickens and other assorted farm animals are not halfway near as exciting as dinosaurs 🙂 Dominic's beanie looks really cool and why am I not surprised that Ms Elizabeth settled on a pink face cloth ? Oh…and am still loving that granny square!

13. Thanks so much for your lovely comment, I'm happy you love my freebie :-)HugsIsobelThe Primitive Hare

14. Thanks so much for your lovely comment, I'm happy you love my freebie :-)HugsIsobelThe Primitive Hare

15. Kate says:

Rock and roll beanie! Lovely 🙂 Looking forward to seeing how you get on with the toe-up socks, looking good so far!