YOP Update

Morning Bloggers,

I’m getting this post in as I have freed up most of the day for knitting/stitching, whatever takes my fancy really.

With the sad passing of my bil during in the week there hasn’t been much time for knitting.

Some progress was made on my branching out scarf. I’d say I’m nearing the half way point with this.

Branching Out Scarf

A couple of weeks ago I found a you tube tutorial from a yarn shop I buy from and it was for a Vintage Crochet Granny Square. I book marked it with the intent of coming back it it and trying them out. I learned some of the basic stitches some time ago and then got caught up with other things so never went any further.
Yesterday afternoon I remembered the link, grabbed some cotton and a hook and jumped right in the deep end….ahhhh I thought but with watching a bit and pausing it and so on and so forth, this is what I ended up with…

Vintage Crochet Granny Square

Slowly my circle got bigger and by magic it turned from the circle into the square. I’ve never changed colours or done clusters or made circles or indeed then turned them into squares, as I said I merely did the very basic stitches.
That is a pale yellow on the outside even if the picture shows it as cream. Not bad for a first attempt at one ! Way to go me, well after my little happy dance I made two more and all just in the afternoon, how quick are these things !

Vintage Crochet Granny Square

So now with three of them, I better make some more and perhaps turn them into an afghan. Perhaps one for a baby cot, we have some babies being born this year what with my sister and both my sister in laws expecting this year. Now the questions start. How many make a good size blanket, not to big not to small and whats the best way of joining them…single crochet ?

Well now I’m off to catch up with some knitting and stitching and now it seems crochet as well 🙂

Happy knitting,

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to YOP Update

1. Tricia says:

Way to go Ruth, your granny square is fab, 4/5 across and 7/8 height should give you a basic guideline for a cot blanket, you can either do less or add more.Loving the scarf too xx

2. Sally says:

Love your scarf Ruth. I've just started knitting again after many years away from it.Your granny squares are gorgeous.

3. Vickie says:

Hooray Ruth! Crochet! You did it! The granny squares are fabulous. Love them. What a wonderful gift that will be! The scarf is really coming along. That will be a beauty. I still had need for the scarf you made me, just 2 weeks ago. Crazy weather! 🙂 ♥

4. Shirlee says:

Your granny squares are looking good as is your scarf! So sorry to hear about your bil.

5. Renee Anne says:

I'm pretty jealous of your granny squares. Just sayin'. I can't crochet to save my life…I can do some of the very basic stitches if I have YouTube open in front of me for some guidance. With that said, baby blankets depend on how long you want them used for. I have some blankets that Little Man received that he hasn't really used yet because they're too big. But they'll be perfect once we move him into his toddler bed (which will probably be happening soon). I know a good measurement is either 32"x32" square or 32" wide x 36" long.

6. Marsha says:

Congratulations on the granny squares. They can become an addiction. Most baby blankets are around 36" square. I don't know how big the squares are that you crocheted but that is a basic guideline.So sorry to hear about your BIL. Peace be with you and your family.

So sorry about your bil, that must have been so hard for you all.I am chuffed to bits for your crocheting debut! Brilliant – you look like you're already an expert…..it's very addictive too, as they grow so fast (as you've realised). I must admit, making crochet blankets is my absolute favourite, but then I think you may already know that!Hope you had a day filled with lots of stitching knitting and crochet!

8. Sorry for your loss. Those are really nice granny squares. Your colour choices really suit the pattern well. Cotton is a great choice for a baby blanket. As for size, well that depends. I like about 30 x 40" generally. Smaller if it's meant for a car seat or a pram, larger if it's meant for a bed. Any crochet blankets I've made I joined the squares with single crochet which works just fine.

9. Karoline says:

I'm sorry to hear of your BIL's passingYour scarf & the granny squares are lovely.

10. SoCal Debbie says:

Wow, Ruth! Is there anything you can't do? Great job on the crocheted granny squares!

11. Thoeria says:

Love the granny squares Ruth!!!

12. Otter says:

Ruth, I am in awe! I am going to have to try using to see if I can't get the general idea for different crochet techniques and maybe re-learn how to knit.Great job on your granny squares!

The scarf is looking great. AND, I thought you said you couldn't crochet. The squares look great to me and I've been crocheting for 40 years. Wow that sounds horrifying. I'm going to copy that square and make some. I like the pattern. Hope you didn't get to far ahead of me on The Old West.Linda

14. I'm sorry to hear about your BIL.Your granny squares look great! One day I will pick up a hook and try some!

15. Ewa says:

They look lovely, Ruth! Congrats on mastering them!

16. Kate says:

I am so sorry about your brother-in-law. My thoughts and condolences are with you and your family xYour crochet is lovely – granny squares are one of the best kept secrets of things that look harder than they are. I join mine using a Lucy tutorial, it's here – http://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/joining-granny-sqaures.html.