Yesterday amidst the bugs and colds I just had to bake bread and scones. The bread I needed as all my soda bread was used from the freezer (I make soda bread in batches and then freeze in portions) and the scones were from a recipe my friend Tricia gave me.
Now I’m not the biggest lover of scones as I find them dry and not terribly sweet but after tasting these I am a convert. Now they are buttermilk scones and have no sugar in them but to combat that this is what I did with them lol…
|Jam and Cream scones|
I used some homemade raspberry jam from my Dads garden and some freshly whipped cream.
Now they were plenty sweet enough for me and tasted very delicious with my tea lol
The recipe was so quick and simple that I had them mixed and the first batch done while hubby did the school run yesterday morning !
Here is the recipe..
- 225g Self raising flour
- 1.4 tsp salt
- 40g butter
- 1/4 pt buttermilk
- extra milk for brushing
- Preheat the oven to 230C, Gas 8
- Sieve the flour and salt into a bowl.
- Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the the buttermilk and mix to a soft but not sticky dough with a knife.
- Turn onto a lightly floured board and knead quickly until smooth.
- Roll out to about 1/2 inch think and cut into rounds or like me triangles…way to lazy to take out the cutter lol..
- Transfer to a greased baking sheet and brush the tops with milk.
- Bake for 7-10 mins or until well risen and golden.
Hope you enjoy the recipe and remember if you do try them out let me know how they went.
I’ve a few ideas for this recipe and will add a few things to them, will keep you posted.