Time for Pie

Today I made Spicy Apple Pie.This was at Ruairi’s request as he loves apple pie. This recipe uses two different types of apples. I used a Bramley cooking apple and a Granny Smith Apple as well. The combination of both gives a delicious flavour when mixed with some spices.

Everything all laid out, ready to start !

I had time to make the pastry before I left for the school run, so it could chill while I was out.

Naturally my helper came back today…I think he just likes having his picture lol.

My helper, Ruairi, holding the sugar

Half the Bramley’s get cooked down into a compote and the other half just added into this and given a good mix.

The start of the compote

Then ts a matter of layering up the sliced Granny Smith apples and the compote of Bramleys and adding some mixed spice as you go. After brushing with some beaten egg the top got an extra sprinkling of cinnamon sugar.

Sprinkled with cinnamon sugar before cooking

After approx 45 mins in the oven you get a gorgeous golden delicious apple pie.

All cooked and golden and delicious !

Again the full recipe is listed under baking delights and please do let me know what you think if and when you try it, I’d love to hear.
 Thoeria I’m just rooting out my recipe for soda bread, I seemed to have misplaced it lol. All my best recipes seem to be on scrap pieces of paper or hurriedly written onto the backs of envelopes  lol.

Happy Baking

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Time for Pie

1. SoCal Debbie says:

Oh Ruth, that apple pie looks delicious!

That apple pie looks so yummy. Will ya save me a piece?Linda

Yum! Do you have it with ice cream or cream? Nothing beats a good apple pie, not sure if I could decide what I'd have with it, so maybe both.I always have hands to help……but I'm sure they're more interested in licking the spatulas than anything else!

4. Lucie says:

Oh that looks very yum. I love apple pie too (hint, hint for next week :p )Ruiari makes an excellent commis chef – he needs a chefs outfit ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Looks delicious Ruth! Ruairi is priceless! That little face!

6. Thoeria says:

Oh Ruth – that looks like absolute delicious heaven! YUMMY YUMMY DROOL!

7. Thoeria says:

See – that pie so distracted me I didn't see your comment on the Soda bread ๐Ÿ™‚ Hope you find it soon!

8. Kate says:

Yummy, I'll have to try this one in the school holidays.

9. Akila says:

Ooooh, that looks delicious!! I once tried an apple pie, where I had to marinate the filling for an hour or so. Though it was yummy, this sounds much simpler. Please do send me the recipe when you can