YOP Year 3 Update

YoPBanner_zps83dd3114

Welcome to the first yop update post for 2014.

Things this week have progressed at that lovely relaxed state of holiday time, gone is the hectic frantic last-minute dashing around that happens pre-Christmas period but it also happens in the area of handmade gift giving as last-minute gifts are created, ends sewn in, steam blocking going on etc etc etc. I for one was ready for things to kick into a slower pace. I fear it may have been short-lived as the children return to school tomorrow and so we kick back up a gear, ah well.

I did get around to photographing Waters Edge, the hat I knit for my husband. Bless him he’s been waiting on it a year and has been very patient. I’ll do a post up on it this coming week. It is a simple beanie but I find those are the ones where you have nothing to hide and every stitch needs to be right.

img_3797

I’ve also released my first new toy design Sam Burrow and blogged about him here. I can’t tell you all how excited I am about him and mainly because I had an idea for him some months ago and drew him out in my ideas sketch pad and from there worked him up while writing down the pattern in what is now my pattern book. This just excites me so much. I have a couple of notebooks this year, one for projects done which has separate sections. One such section holds a list of all my ideas for future projects many of which I want to design myself. Sam Burrow and Waters Edge are from this list. I also have as I mentioned a pattern notebook and story one, which I blogged about on Tuesday here.

IMG_3798

So while these are finished and photographed this week I did also start some new projects again from that idea list. The first project started is a hat I’ve had in mind for myself and for ages I’ve been searching for just the exact shades I had imagined in my head. I located the colours in Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran range and this is what I’ve worked up so far, again I’m note taking as I’ll simply never remember what I’ve done. I’m not fully decided on the name for this hat just yet, I’ve a few ideas for it in my head and it may just come to me this week as I work on it.

img_3813

I also played around with these daisy motifs. I want to turn them into an afghan for Evelyn for her cot. I like how they came out and so far have just been working on the daisy motif. I’m nearing the end of what I think will be enough so I can then turn them into squares and proceed from there. I’ve had this daisy afghan in my notebook for a while and while I’m not working from a pattern but just rather putting the different stitches together in a fashion to give me what I envisage I’m not sure you can call it an original design either.

img_3812

I have one other project I’m working on and that is Sam’s sister and have no photos of her just yet, those I’ll take when she’s complete and I’m hoping she turns out just as cute as her brother. She may be released here later this week, I’d imagine no earlier than Friday though if you are looking to check back in.

So there you have what I’ll be working on this week. These all fall into the my designs section of my yop list but will also fit into some of the other sections so you may see things double entered and not all have links to patterns as I’ve not written them up.

Tomorrow is my new posts I’m starting about what we are all reading including the children it’s called D.E.A.R. with me, it would be lovely to see you all pop in.

I’ll drop in at some stage this week to blog about Waters Edge and then possibly again at the end of the week with Sam’s sister assuming she goes straight forward enough.

I’ll also be dropping in with you all checking out what you have been doing this week.

Ruth x

About these ads
This entry was posted in Crochet, Designs, Finished object, Knitting, Work in progress, Year of projects and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to YOP Year 3 Update

1. Tonya says:

Sam Burrow is so very cute! I like the daisy’s look fun!

2. I haven’t even blogged yet….having problems with pictures uploading from my camera but I’ll get there sometime today. I just love Sam…that’s my grandson’s name too (named after his grandmother, me) lol. The hat for hubby is great and now after making 2 hats I understand about all the stitches having to be good ones. I love the yarn you used too. BTW, I am left handed and there were several in my family before me…my Mother was ambidextrous and had beautiful penmanship with both hands.
    The little flower square is precious and I can see Miss Evelyn cuddling up with a whole blanket of them.
    I love the colors in your hat. The first time I combined those 2 colors was in that crocheted needle keep…..which reminds me I need to finish it. I really like the combination of yellow and purple. Royal colors for the Queen! Enjoy your post-holiday needlework.
    P.S. What does D.E.A.R. stand for?
    P.S. P.S. I made the cake yesterday and it was so good. I like that it wasn’t “overly” sweet. Tell Benjamin he knows how to pick them and thank you again for the recipe.

I’m glad you liked the cake and hope you had a really good birthday, I was thinking of you yesterday. Ahhh I shall reveal all tomorrow about D.E.A.R. ;)

3. Lily Razz says:

Oh Sam Burrows is adorable! And I love the hat you made for your husband, I bet he loves it too.

Thank you and yes he does, he wanted it a tad longer than most you could buy, my eldest likes the size he says it’s a good slouchy beanie size :)

4. Christine says:

You never disappoint with your critters! Sam Burrows is adorable!! I will try and wait patiently for the reveal of his sister.
    I think. I know what D.E.A.R. Means… But I will wait until your big reveal tomorrow!

5. Sam Burrows is very cute and I’m excited to see where the daisy motif goes. I agree about the simple hats needing to be the ones with the best workmanship. Good luck with your new designs!

6. Ylva says:

I saw Sam when you wrote up his story, adorable! Both the story and Sam himself ^^

7. Annie says:

That toy design is so cute! Your work always makes me wish I knew how to use my hands properly, lol. :-)

Look you go off on that designing road! You go, Ruth! The hat looks like snuggly love from a devoted, loving wife to her husband. LOVE, love Mr. Sam.

Sam is gorgeous – of course!! You sound super organised, with your notebooks – but I suppose you need to be!!

10. Sam’s a darling. Can’t wait to see his sister with him. Your head must be filled with all these design inspirations. Makes mine spin a bit :)

11. sandy says:

Your bunny is adorable. As usual you’re so productive. I’ve not even made a yarn related post in a while. Life has been beyond hectic. More work hours then normal, bad weather with more coming, working on lots of projects…not related to yop…Happy New Year.

12. typenstitch says:

You’re so talented, Ruth! Your bunny design is perfect! The purple and gold colors for your hat are the same as the Los Angeles Lakers basketball team! This is a very popular color combination here in California!

13. kimmery4 says:

You are so creative! I really like the daisy and think it will make an adorable little blanket for Miss Eleanor. Regarding your comment on my post and my husband’s gift to me–we do give each other a general list to go off of–I had told him about the shape of the bag and when he went into the yarn store and described the general type, they showed him the section it could be found in and then he sorted through them until he found the one he just knew was me–and it happened to be the exact one I had kept my eye on for over a year! We have been married 30 years so he does tend to know my tastes. The addi clicks he ordered from Germany (where they are made) because even with shipping they were still cheaper than buying them in the states by almost 50 dollars!!! Skacel is the USA distributor and they set the price here–ridiculous! He doesn’t necessarily like going into the yarn store, but does when he has too! :)
    Have a super week–
    xoxox

Well I think it’s just wonderful that he could pick out the exact one you had your eye on and I hop in another 15 years time mine shall be able to do the same, he’s half way there and is great at spotting what is just me just not in anything yarn related but there is time ;) I must check out the Addi lace sets as I think they would be cheaper than what I’d get from the UK also.